If you are someone who loves to cook, you would know how essential heavy cream is when it comes to making sauces, soups or desserts. It is a staple ingredient that adds a rich and creamy texture to your dishes.
But what if you have run out of heavy cream? Don’t worry as we have got you covered. You can actually make heavy cream at home with just two ingredients – milk and butter. Yes, it’s that simple!
Here, we will guide you on how to turn milk into luscious heavy cream in no time, without compromising the taste or texture.
The following ingredients are required for making homemade heavy cream:
- Whole Milk
- Unsalted Butter
Making Homemade Heavy Cream
To turn milk into luscious heavy cream at home, follow these simple steps:
- Melt the butter: In a small saucepan, melt unsalted butter over low heat until fully melted and set aside.
- Mix the milk and butter: In a separate bowl add whole milk and slowly stir in the melted butter until well combined.
- Chill Chill the mixture in the fridge for about an hour until cool.
- Whisk Take out the chilled mixture from refrigerator and whisk thoroughly using an electric mixer on high speed until thickened into whipped cream-like texture.
Voila! You now have homemade luscious heavy cream ready to be used in your cooking endeavours.
Tips To Keep In Mind:
- The proportion of milk to melted butter should be 3:1 respectively.
- Make sure not to use salted butter as it may significantly alter the taste of your recipe
- For better results make sure that both ingredients are cold before beginning.
Q: Can I use skimmed milk instead of whole milk?
A: Using skim milk will make your heavy cream less creamy and it may not thicken as desired. For best results, stick to the recipe and use whole milk.
Q: Can I add sugar to the mixture?
A: Yes, you can add powdered sugar or honey for a sweeter taste.
Q: Is it okay to mix the melted butter with a spoon?
A: Whisking is necessary when combining ingredients together so that they emulsify effectively and create a thickened consistency.
Turning milk into heavy cream at home is simple, easy, quick and an effective alternative for those who have run out of pre-made heavy cream. So next time you are in dire need of some luscious heavy cream do not hesitate to try this DIY method! It’s perfect for those emergency situations where heading out to buy ingredients simply isn’t possible.