As we spend so much time in our homes, it’s crucial to ensure that they are safe and healthy environments. Unfortunately, some common household items can be toxic to humans, and the symptoms of exposure may not be immediately obvious. Here, we’ll explore some warning signs to look out for that could indicate your house is toxic.
Warning Sign 1: Musty Odors
If you notice a musty odor in your home, it could be a sign of mold growth. Mold thrives in moist areas such as bathrooms and basements, but can grow anywhere with the right conditions. It’s important to address any mold growth promptly as exposure can cause respiratory issues.
Warning Sign 2: Peeling Paint
Older homes may have been painted with lead-based paint which can pose health risks if ingested or breathed in as dust. If you live in an older home, take care when renovating or repainting to avoid disturbing potential lead hazards.
Warning Sign 3: Off-Gassing from Furniture & Carpets
New furniture and carpeting often give off fumes called volatile organic compounds . These chemicals can produce odors that irritate the eyes, nose, throat and lungs of sensitive individuals This risk generally passes after a few days once the item has aired out fully.
Warning Sign 4: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is an invisible gas produced by furnaces, water heaters etc. . . If CO build-up happens on hazardous level worse case scenario even death might ensue within just minutes. Make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout your homeand we suggest an inspection every year especially before winter months start.
Here are more factors:
This noble gas is naturally occurring but comes from undergaruids as well as rocks. If your home is poorly ventilated lots of radon gas can build up inside and long term exposure have been known to increase the chance of lung cancer.
If you have an older house, lead pipes on some places might still be present. There is a chance that consuming lead-contaminated water could put certain risks on children’s physical and mental development.
A fire retardant material that was once widely used in building insulation. When asbestos fibers are released into the air, they can cause serious respiratory issues such asmesothelioma.
To summarize it all together, anywhere we spend our time might come with it’s own set of risks so we need to be aware what kinds of toxic hazards are inherited in our homes from before or newly acquired items. The right awareness and taking the right precautions help us stay safe within our boundaries.