As we all know, buying clothes that fit properly can be a challenging task. Whether you’re shopping online or in-store, sizing varies between brands and styles, leaving us to rely on the trusty tape measure for accurate measurements. But, have you ever measured yourself and ended up with inconsistent results? Fear not, because mastering the tape measure is easier than it seems.
Why Is Measuring Yourself Important?
Accurate measurements are crucial when it comes to purchasing clothing that fits well. Measurements help you determine your correct size and ensure that you will look good and feel comfortable wearing what you are buying.
Things You Will Need
Before diving into measuring your body like a pro, there are a few things that you will need:
- Cloth tape measure
- Pencil and paper
Pro-tip: It’s important to use a cloth tape measure instead of a metal one as they tend to get tangled easily.
Getting Started – Step By Step Guide
Here’s how to properly take four types of body measurements:
1. Waist Measurement
A proper waist measurement is essential since many garments sit at this point on the body.
- Stand up straight.
- Locate your natural waistline by bending sideways.
- Find where your skin creases.
- This spot is often one inch above your belly button.
- Place the tape around this area firmly but not too tight.
- Make sure the tailor’s end meets back onto the rest of the tape measurer without overlap or pulling too tight on either side.
2. Hip Measurement
Hips play an important role in certain garments such as skirts or pants since they usually hug this part of our bodies closely.
1) Stand with feet together. 2
2) Locate the largest part of your hips using a mirror.
3) Place the tape around this area, ensuring that it’s parallel to the ground.
4) Make sure you follow along with any curves in your body.
3. Bust/ Chest Measurement
If you are female or wear tops that fit snugly across the chest it will be important to know your bust measurement. 1
- Stand up straight.
- Raise your arm and place the end of tape measure at one side of your breast .
- Pull tape across breast until its opposite point on other side
4) The measuring tape should go over shoulder blades and not appear diagonally cross-testing nipples.
4. Inseam Measurement
The inseam measurement is essential for buying pants with correct measurements so as to ensure they aren’t too short nor too long.
- Stand up straight with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Measure by placing one end of the measuring-tape in between legs; make sure you keep both ends level when pulling .
- Record down measurements while taking care not to get measured-up underneath clothing layers’ .
Pro-tip: When recording measurements, consider adding about half an inch allowance for ease which allows for comfort and movement5.
Q – Why do I need accurate body measurements before purchasing clothes?
A – Clothing manufacturers have different sizing standards making each size vary from brand to brand hence having proper scale-down of how sizes fits specific individuals makes clothes/shop- ping process less rigid_
Q – Can I use my phone’s built-in measuring app instead?
A – No, these apps are usually not reliable enough since they heavily depend on technology such as augmented reality which can cause discrepancies leading undeniably to inaccurate results.
Q – Do body measurements differ between men and women?
A – Yes, below the waist line for example hips will be largest point for women compared to knee level which is larger in circumference than thigh measurement
When it comes to purchasing clothes that fit well and make you look your best, accurate body measurements cannot be understated. The tape measure is a simple yet essential tool that everyone should have in their wardrobe toolkit3. Follow these steps, take your time and don’t rush things especially when taking difficult angles or curves measurements.
Pro-tip: Remember always round numbers up/down to whole number can sometimes save one some embarrassment if measurements are made public unintentionally 4.
Now go on out there and start measuring like a pro!
“The Bust Size Chart | Who What Wear. ” WhoWhatWear, 6 May 2020, www. whowhatwear. com/bust-size-chart. ↩
Women’s Suiting Size Guide by Banana Republic Factory. factory. jcrew. com/sizing/womens/blazers_suits/size_chart. jsp. ↩
Evans Hannah. “Basic Sewing Knowledge Every Fashion-conscious Person Should Have” Dressmaking Tailoring Project & Sewing Machines . ↩
Tracy DinunzioAug. 29, & Tracy Dinunzio7 Minute Read Buy Used Clothing Like A Pro: The Ultimate Guide To Thrift Store Shopping Online CommentsSite Web. Wired Magazine: Business; Innovation; Science; Entertainment: WIRED Global
https://www. wired. com/2014/08/the-ultimate-guide-to-shopping-for-thrift-store-clothes-online/ ↩
Meredith Hurdle. How to Take Body Measurements to Find Your Right Fit ThoughtCo Jul 22nd Time stamp . ↩