Watermelon is a delicious and refreshing fruit that’s enjoyed by many during the hot summer months. However, what happens if you eat bad watermelon? It’s not something that most people want to think about, but there are some troubling health risks associated with consuming spoiled watermelon.
Watermelon is a hydrating fruit that’s rich in vitamins A and C, as well as potassium. It also has a high water content, making it a popular choice for those looking to stay hydrated during the warmer months of the year. But what happens when your juicy slice of watermelon goes bad? The answer isn’t very pleasant.
Can Watermelons Go Bad?
Yes, like any other fruit or vegetable, watermelons can go bad if they’re not stored properly or left out for too long. A fresh watermelon should last up to 2 weeks at room temperature and up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. However, once it starts to show signs of spoilage such as soft spots, mold or an unpleasant smell – it’s time to part ways.
Signs Your Watermelon Has Gone Bad
There are several signs that indicate your watermelon has gone bad:
- Mushy texture: When the texture of your sweet slice resembles mush rather than firm flesh.
- Off-color/dullness: Inspect the exterior color — especially near any cuts or bruises — which loses its vibrancy over time turning dull.
- Foul Smell: A rotten fragrance prevails around all grooves of light yellow underbelly around its base
If you notice any or all these signs then you don’t have to taste-test! Throw away right away.
What Happens If You Eat Spoiled Watermelon?
Eating spoiled food can lead to numerous health problems ranging from mild digestive discomforts to serious illnesses like food poisoning.
When it comes to watermelons, however, there are several specific risks associated with consuming spoiled fruit. Let’s take a look at some of those health consequences.
Food poisoning is the most common risk of eating bad watermelon. When watermelon goes bad it can harbor harmful bacteria such as E-coli or Salmonella that cause severe stomach conditions including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.
A Versatile Habitat for Fungus Growth
If the outsideshell of a fresh/decently ripe melon has been damaged in any way fungus can grow inside. . This could lead to various life-threatening situations like respiratory infections, blood stream infections etc.
Bromine kills off harmful bacteria in small amounts. However,
excessive consumption could prove toxicologically dangerous leading to disorders and possible kidney damage.
Mold Exposure Could Trigger Allergies
All type of mold allergies triggered by ingesting most commonly include processes ranging from mild facial discomforts all the way up dyspnea , nasal thrombosis , skin irritation observed upto precipitating anaphylactic shock – like symptoms where treatment MUST be sought immediately.
In conclusion: “Spoiled Watermelon is NOT worth the exception!” Eating gone-off/spoilt/off watermelons should generally be avoided altogether. The longer you leave your slice out, more chances fungi/bacteria may carry into it– thus nulling its ability to provide nutritional values instead exposing one’s body system to potential harm. It’s best practice – when it looks suspect – dispose!. Always buy fresh produce from reputable sellers, storing them correctly so they stay safe for use over time – freshness guaranteed! Stay Healthy!!
Q: Can I just cut off the bad part of a watermelon and still eat the rest?
A: Cutting off any visibly bad or spoiled sections doesn’t guarantee complete safety as contaminants like bacteria may have infiltrated other parts. For safety reasons, it’s not advisable to eat any rotted watermelon at all.
Q: How long can I store an uncut watermelon before it goes bad?
A: Store your juicy melons in room temperatures but once cut up, it needs to be refrigerated and eaten within 3 days of constant exposure
So next time you reach for that succulent slice of warm-weather fruit, make sure it’s fresh and healthy before you take a bite!