Antifreeze, also known as engine coolant, is a liquid substance used to regulate the temperature of a vehicle’s engine. However, if ingested, it can be extremely dangerous and potentially fatal. Here, we will explore what happens if you ingest antifreeze and provide tips on how to stay safe.
What is Antifreeze?
Antifreeze is typically made up of ethylene glycol or propylene glycol along with other substances such as corrosion inhibitors and dyes. It helps maintain the temperature of an engine by absorbing heat from the engine and releasing it via the radiator.
How Can You Ingest Antifreeze?
One of the most common ways people accidentally ingest antifreeze is by mistaking it for a beverage due to its sweet taste. Pets are also at risk of ingesting antifreeze since they may lick it off driveways or garage floors where spills occur.
What Happens When You Ingest Antifreeze?
If ingested in large amounts, antifreeze can cause severe harm to your body. Here are some potential consequences:
Antifreeze creates crystalline formations when metabolized by the liver that accumulate in various internal organs like kidneys leading them towards failure.
The consumption of too much pure antifreezecan lead to brain damage and seizures
Low Blood Sugar Levels
Consuming high levels of ethylene glycol could decrease blood sugar levels, resulting in headaches, tremors, convulsions, double vision and eventually coma
Ingestion od untreated Ethylene Glycol causes catabolism giving rise to formation oxalic acid salts which tendti crystallize triggering calcium deposition within tissues such that heart arrhythmiasandrenal insufficiency ensue death ultimately occurs if no amelioration takes place.
What To Do If You Ingest Antifreeze?
If you or anyone around you ingest antifreeze, here is what to do:
Seek Medical Attention Immediately
As mentioned earlier, antifreeze can be fatal, so it’s important to seek medical attention immediately. Call emergency services and follow their instructions.
Do Not Induce Vomiting
Contrary to popular belief, inducing vomiting can worsen the condition in cases of ingesting poisonous substances like Antffrezze since once administered the body converts it into toxins which are harmful when regurgitated
Drink Water Or Milk
While waiting for help , rinse your mouth out with water or milk if verbal coordination allows this
How To Prevent Accidental Ingestion Of Antifreeze?
Here are some tips on how to prevent accidental ingestion of antifreeze:
Keep a Coolant Buddy
To ensure safety measure prevention against accidents related fluids as well as to keep an extra pair of eyes that protects against multi-faceted danger such as issues arising from inhaling toxic fumes or getting stuck inside engines.
Antifreeze must remain stored properly long after its intended use is complete. Always tightly seal up containers tightly and kep them locked away from children pets prying hands
Clean Spills Immediately
Once a spill occur, it should not go uncleaned, . Always clean spills right at the source increasing chances of preventing possible future accidental ingestion considering its sweet taste
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can drinking small amounts of antifreeze cause harm?
A: Yes! Even a small amount can cause health problems. A cupful could make someone severely ill; just two tablespoons lethality increases exponentially depending on variables involved.
Q: What are signs someone has ingested antifreeze?
A: Symptoms of antifreeze ingestion may include heavy breathing, confusion, drowsiness, and seizures.
Q: How quickly do symptoms appear after ingesting antifreeze?
A: Symptoms can develop within 30 minutes to two hours after ingestion
Ingesting antifreeze can lead to severe health problems and even death. It’s important to store it properly, clean up spills immediately, and be aware of the risks if you work with it regularly.
If you or anyone around you ingests antifreeze accidentally, don’t wait for symptoms before seeking medical attention! Call emergency services immediately.
Remember always ALWAYS safety first!